Whipped cream is a classic topping for desserts and beverages, but most bakers will tell you: it’s a pain to make from scratch. Whipping is done by hand, so it takes a lot of time and often doesn’t result in a consistent texture. Or, that’s how it used to be. These days, a clever system based around a whipped cream charger has revolutionized whipped cream—and other specialties. These canisters use nitrogen in the form of nitrous oxide gas to take your baking and beverage game to the next level. Let’s take a look!
Table of Contents
A Brief Overview of Whipped Cream Chargers
Whip cream chargers aren’t used alone. You need to combine them with whipped cream dispensers and pressure regulators. The chargers themselves are filled with nitrous oxide— that’s right, laughing gas. This odorless, non-toxic gas is used to add texture to a variety of dishes and infuse other items with flavors or carbonation.
The pressure regulator allows you to adjust the nitrous oxide; you need different pressures for whipped creams with varying fats or other creations. The dispenser is where the magic happens. You start by filling it with your starter ingredients, such as heavy cream and sugar for whipped cream. Then you add the charger and shake everything vigorously to ensure thorough blending. Dispense, and enjoy!
A note of precaution: While whipped cream chargers are generally safe to use, be sure to follow manufacturer instructions. Chargers contain compressed gas. They should be stored in a cool, dry location, kept out of reach of children and pets, and never punctured. The instructions will also explain how to dispose of used chargers properly.
Boosting Your Beverages
First, we’ll w(h)et our pallets by taking a look at how whipped cream chargers can dress up your drinks!
- Coffee. Sure, the obvious answer here is to top your morning brew with a dollop of the sweet stuff. But delectable whipped cream isn’t the only way chargers can tune up your dose of caffeine. You can add the charger to your cold brew for homemade nitro coffee!
- Cocktails. Ever had a creamy, frothy cocktail? The bartender likely used nitrous oxide to foam up their blend to add a luxurious texture to your favorite flavors. Whipped cream chargers can also carbonate fruit to use as a garnish— or to eat for a refreshing snack with a pop of fizz.
Dispensing Delectable Dishes and Desserts
Cream chargers, also known as ‘whippits’ or ‘whip it tanks’, can dazzle your friends— or customers —with perfect whipped cream every time. But they can also spice up other dishes.
- Mousses and Puddings. By simply adjusting the pressure regulator on your charger and dispenser, you can create light and fluffy or dense and luxurious mousses and puddings in seconds.
- Edible Foams. You can create warm espumas, or vegetable foams, that add a creamy texture to many dishes and soups. You can also create additives like cheese foams for easy stuffed mushrooms.
- Infused Butter and Oils. Cream chargers can help you create delicious cooking and finishing oils or specialty butter. Simply add your favorite herbs or spices and either oil or softened butter, seal, and add the charger. Voila!
- Infused Whipped Cream. In addition to the traditional topping, you can add flavoring items like cocoa powder or vanilla extract to your heavy cream before adding the charger. This infuses your final product with different flavors that pair well with your desserts and drinks.
The Advantages of Cream Chargers
If the wide array of uses for a whipped cream charger isn’t enough, let’s take a look at other benefits of using them in your kitchen.
- Cost-Effective. Cream chargers can save you money, especially if you make a lot of whipped cream or use them for multiple recipes. Premade whipped cream gets expensive, and whipping by hand costs you time.
- Consistency. Using a cream charger for your recipes ensure consistent results that last. This is great to recreate the same taste time and again and for advertising your creations on Instagram.
- Control. Using your own recipes means you know exactly what is going into your food. You can choose to be dairy free or avoid any type of preservative— it’s up to you.
Indulge in Beverages and Desserts
So, are you ready? You can enhance your dishes, desserts, and beverages in a few simple clicks. Whipped cream chargers and accessories are readily available online, from 8G tanks of nitrous oxide all the way up to 640G. Whether you’re a hobbyist baker, looking to impress your friends at the next cocktail party, or a full-time chef or business owner, a whipped cream charger can revolutionize your kitchen.