Probiotics are live microorganisms that provide health benefits when administered in adequate amounts. These microbes can be naturally found in fermented foods like yogurt, kimchi, and pickles, while others can be found in over-the-counter or prescribed supplements.
To get the right supplement to improve your health conditions, it is best to talk to your doctor or a certified nutritionist. But here are six of the best probiotics supplements you can add to your medicine cabinet in 2023.
Table of Contents
1. Culturelle Probiotics
This brand of this probiotic supplement contains the probiotic strain Lactobacillus rhamnosus, which has been shown to support digestive and immune health. It also promotes a healthy balance of gut bacteria. On most popular health blogs, Culturelle probiotics are recommended as the overall best probiotic supplements.
2. Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Once Daily Women’s Probiotic
This probiotic supplement is specifically formulated for women and contains Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium strains to support vaginal health and digestive and immune system health. It can also help with weight loss.
3. Florastor Daily Probiotic for Women and Men
This contains 5 billion CFUs of the bacteria strain Saccharomyces boulardii, effectively managing inflammatory bowel disease symptoms. The bacterial strain is also responsible for reducing diarrhea in patients who suffer from it.
4. Renew Life Ultimate Flora Probiotic
This probiotic supplement contains 50 billion CFUs per serving of 10 different strains of probiotics. It includes Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and Streptococcus to support digestive and immune health, as well as promote a healthy balance of gut bacteria.
5. Hyperbiotics PRO-15
The Hyperbiotics PRO-15 supplement contains 15 strains of probiotics, including Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, to support digestive and immune health, as well as promote healthy gut bacteria.
Align is mostly popular for the probiotic strains that have been said to greatly improve digestive health and relieve abdominal discomfort, gas, and bloating. Taylor Wallace from Forbes Health says, “Align is arguably the most clinically studied brand on the market that shows beneficial effects.”
Terms of Probiotics
To know more about probiotics, it is important to be conversant with these three terms.
- CFU (Colony Forming Units) of bacteria per serving: In general, CFUs can range from 1 million to 50 billion.
- Strain types like Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, or Saccharomyces boulardii: Scientists have confirmed that these friendly bacteria strain types can help improve one’s mood and reduce weight loss.
- Refrigerated or non-refrigerated: Check to see if a probiotic can be refrigerated or not. Refrigerated probiotics are generally preferred because they last longer, and some bacteria strains cannot tolerate heat.
Get the Best Probiotics for Healthy Living!
Probiotics can be taken alongside your meals, but it is important to remember that your meals must be healthy. Most of the gut symptoms that cause you to take or depend on probiotics usually stem from eating highly processed foods with no nutritional value or qualities.
You can ask a doctor or certified dietician how many capsules of a supplement may be required for it to be effective for you.