Kumarakom is a small town in the state of Kerala and is considered to be a popular backwater destination enticing tourists from all parts of the world to come here at least once. This place does offer heavenly, natural charm and beauty, not found elsewhere.
There are numerous clusters that surround Vembanad Lake and are indeed a picturesque tourist spot and a paradise for all nature enthusiasts as well as a real treat for ornithologists.
There are indeed different places of interest to visit in Kumarakom and it also has several pleasant activities like short treks, strolling, angling, boating, and much more.
Couples, families, and groups can engage in such super cool activities. How much you wish to indulge in the different activities offered here entirely depends upon your budget and duration of stay. Even a small vacation can be made exciting by visiting several interesting places.
Top places to visit
- Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary: This small town is a treat for bird watchers and nature lovers. It is located on Vembanad Lake banks and is a preservation ground for several endangered species of migratory and residential birds. It includes herons, parrots, Siberian cranes, egrets, owls, waterfowls, darters, etc. The area covered is about 14 acres that can be accessed with a canoe. Do also visit Pathiramanal, a wonderful island known as ‘Sands of Midnight’ located on Vembanad Lake. You can reach there with a boat. This sanctuary is open throughout the week and from 6.30 am to 5 pm.
- Houseboat ride: Sailing through the charming, quaint backwaters and staying in the houseboat for a night or couple is definitely a must thing to do here. The lush green plantations and the awesome backdrop, coupled with the gorgeous looking Vembanad Lake is what attract tourists in huge numbers. Simply rent a houseboat to accommodate your residential needs during the stay and have immense pleasure. There are houseboats of different shapes and sizes to fit all needs and endowed with basic amenities and luxury to fulfill all aspirations. They are also a hotspot for romantic and newlywed couples.
- Kathakali performance: The state of Kerala is considered to be a land of vibrant traditions and colorful culture. The traditional dance performed here is Kathakali, which has become a part and parcel of the culture here. Its dynamic mudras, bold dance form, charismatic accompanying rhythm, and diverse facial expressions are what creates a mesmerizing ambiance, which is mythical, mystical and magical. Such dance performances can be enjoyed for hours together. Few resorts in Kumarakom are also known to arrange Kalaripayattu performances, which is traditional martial art which is being performed for ages and is stated to be the origin of Asian martial arts.
- Spa sessions: If you believe in the benefits offered by Ayurveda and Ayurvedic therapies, then you should definitely indulge in it during your stay. It can help to soothe up your senses and relaxes completely your soul, mind, and body. There are offered numerous Ayurvedic massages and for this Kerala can be rightly termed to be a rejuvenation destination.
- Vembanad Lake: There are numerous beaches and lakes in Kumarakom and if you love fishing, this is then the best destination to be. Vembanad Lake is a wonderful fishing location and also the state’s largest as well as the country’s longest lake.
- Lakeside strolls: You can go for leisurely strolls or nature walking to enjoy the sparkling backwater. The blue water of the lake, picture-perfect rural landscape, lush green plantations and chirping of different species of birds will simply intoxicate your mind completely. Nature enthusiasts can find this place a dreamland and enjoy the strolls with great pleasure.
- Aruvikkuzhi Waterfall: This gorgeous and scenic tourist attraction is located a few kilometers near Kumarakom. It is enclosed by sedimentary rocky outcrops and rubber plantations. It is also a hot favorite among trekking enthusiasts, nature lovers, and wanderers. There is a muddy trail of 2km long, where you need to trek to reach the cascading waterfall. It is also a popular picnic spot.
- Street markets: The street markets are frequented by both locals and tourists alike. You can come across antique handicrafts such as metal and bronze statues, gorgeous Keralian silk sarees, wood carvings, camel-bone carvings, Kathakali masks, and embroidered screw-pine mats, etc. The market is generally open from 10 am to 8 pm.
- Nehru Snake Boat Race: In case, you visit Kumarakom between the months of August & September, then you can enjoy the grand spectacle of boat races which is world-famous. Some of them are Payippad Jalolsayam, Nehru Trophy Snake boat race, Aranmula Uthrattadi Vallamkali, and Champakulam Moolam Boat Race. The boat races are really thrilling and make the entire ambiance sizzling and fiery in this fun-filled and entertaining competition.
- Trunk Call Bar: It is located in Zuri Resort and Spa and is considered to be an important attraction for those seeking nightlife activities in Kumarakom. This luxurious lounge does boast of providing a posh ambiance, myriads of cocktails, perfect crowd, sumptuous food, landscaped garden, and jaw-dropping lake views. This place is really pleasing and quite comforting. You can also choose from a wide range of liquor like outlandish cocktails to imported scotch.
- Baker’s Gourmet: Kumarakom is not likely to disappoint you if you are a real foodie and cannot think of life without food. Keralian cuisines are quite tempting and will only make you crave more. you can try out at the following places:
- Cocobay Resort: There is a charming restaurant at the resort which specializes in Chemmeen Ularthu and Meen Molee.
- Grannery Restaurant: It is a popular restaurant located in Abad hotel and serves Karimeen Pollichathu, appam, Grilled fish that is wrapped with banana leaf, etc.
- Baker’s Gourmet: Located in Vivanta by Taj, this restaurant is a hot favorite among a good number of tourists. You should try out avail and uttapam served here.
Overall, a well-planned itinerary can help you to overcome the hassles and troubles that may otherwise be placed at any new place.