The Pike’s Peak Gold Rush attracted the first settlers to the canon city, and since then, it has gained popularity for an abundance of wild beauty. On a trip to the Royal Gorge, one can see what the city offers with breathtaking views, and you can surely enjoy them on scenic drives and in the nature parks. The town is ideal for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. You can get an abundance of outdoor recreation options because Canon city lies in close proximity to the Arkansas River.
Some of the things you must do in Canyon city:
- Experience the royal Gorge park and bridge- There are a plethora of adventures here for both nature lovers and thrill-seekers. The bridge is said to be one of the world’s highest suspension bridges as it lies over 956 feet above the Arkansas River. You can either choose to walk or drive over the stated bridge and indulge in some great activities on different sides of the Gorge. Besides the stunning views, you can also experience some adventures provided you aren’t faint at heart. It includes riding the gondola across the canyon and zip-lining on the Cloudscraper Zip Line. Again you can try Skycoaster featuring 50-miles-per-hour free fall. If you are fond of mountaineering, then you can experience climbing on George walls known as Via Ferrata.
- Go Whitewater rafting with Echo Canyon rafting- You can experience one-of-a-kind river rafting adventures only with Echo Canyon as you can experience everything from calm waters to extreme white waters. It is one of the best things that Royal Gorge offers things to do in Canon City as the tour company provides peaceful day trips or extreme whitewater experiences so you can experience everything as per your skills. After the river rafting experience, you can indulge in some fantastic fresh burgers and fish tacos available in the local eateries. There is a local 16-tap bar open in the proximity, which is quite popular among the tourists. The expeditions most likely reach maximum capacity during the peak summer season, so you need to plan your trip accordingly. Hence must make a booking in advance.
- Ride the Royal Gorge Route Railroad- It is a 2-hour scenic ride where you can travel from Canon City to the Royal Gorge Bridge and back, and the entire journey is 24 miles. You can indulge in some fine dining in one of the best dining cars and then step to the open-air cars, which will allow you to see the scenery like you are just too close to the walls. It is quite challenging to tell which is more impressive the food or the view, but you don’t have to worry because you have an option to enjoy both of them. On the second level of the train, you can choose from the dome car, or you can choose the dining cars for one of your meals which is breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- Take a hike or relax at the public parks- You can enjoy plenty of public parks and paleontological sites, including the Garden Park Fossil Area, where dinosaur fossils were found long back. You can also go for a 4-mile round-trip Tunnel Drive Trail which includes an old irrigation canal.Red Canyon Park is one of the parks which you shouldn’t miss surely because it features beautiful red rock formations that have transformed into canyons and monoliths over the past few years.
- Go for a scenic drive- You can choose to drive Skyline, which is a 2.6-mile route that is not only breathtaking but also challenging at the same time thanks to its steep incline, at times narrow passages, and rising and falling path. Even if you don’t want to drive, there are some frequent pullouts so you can pull over and take in the view.
- Visit the Museum of Colorado Prisons- If you are someone who loves macabre history and eerie tales of terror, then you must visit the Museum of Colorado Prisons. It is located next to Colorado Territorial Correctional Facility that traces its roots back at least 150 years.
- Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve- It is one of the closest attractions to Cañon City, and for the majority of the tourists, it ends up of the most memorable experiences. The national park tends to feature some of the tallest dunes on the continent, and its varied environments are home to pine forests, lakes, wetlands, and even tundra. The dunes are said to be best experienced during the lowlight morning and evening hours as they are not only mystical but also magical places.
Hence you can genuinely experience these attractions when you visit Canon city, and they are surely going to bring a smile to your face as you are making memories for eternity. Be it rafting or just a drive; Royal Garage is just an ideal holiday vacation.